Search Me

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

SCCM 2012 R2: Package fails to distribute, but all logs and graphs say that it distributed sucessfully


While distributing content to a Distribution Point, Configuration Manager may report that the package has been distributed successfully.  However, any dependencies on this package fail as if the package does not exist.


I opened a case on this issue with Microsoft.  After a few days of troubleshooting, we determined that this is a known issue with SCCM 2012 R2.

It is really easy to determine if you are impacted by this bug.  After deploying a package, and getting a successful distribution (green pie chart, logs file indicate success, etc), open the monitoring context and select the package you just distributed.

Examine the package size.  If you are impacted by this bug, the package size will show as 0.00MB.  While it's possible that a package is this small, most packages are not.

In my case, the package I was trying to transfer was made up of about 1GB of drivers.  SCCM thought the package was empty and distributed an empty package to all my Distribution Points.  Since the empty package transferred successfully, there were no errors in the status messages.


From the software library context, find the package.  Right click on the package and choose Update Distribution Point.

It can take some time before the console reports any change.  You can monitor this process using the Distmgr.log file.  You will see entries indicating that distmgr is taking a snapshot for the content, and eventually you should see an entry that says "Successfully created/updated the package ".  Once you see this line, refresh your console and you should now see the proper size and it should start sending do your DPs (assuming there are free threads for this to happen).

As you can see in the image above, as soon as the Update Content was initiated, the size was corrected and my compliance went from 100% to 0.0%, which is good!  This means SCCM is actually transferring the bits of the driver package instead of an empty folder!